The origins of the National museum of Mongolia date back to 1924, when the first collections were begun for a national museum, whose building no longer stands. The present building of the National Museum of Mongolia was built in 1971, when it was erected as the Museum of the Revolution. In 1991, the ethnography, prehistory, and medieval history collections of the Central Museum were combined with the 20th century historical materials at the Museum of the Revolution to create the collections of the National Museum of Mongolia. In 2008 the Mongolian Government declared the National Museum of Mongolia as the national training provider, making it the key institution in the nation for research and training. The Museum has 1 Department, 2 Centers and 3 Divisions: Policy Planning and Management Department, Museum Training and Methodology Centre, Research Centre, Collection Management Division, Education, Public Communication and Marketing Division, and Security and Services Division.